Francis P. Hogan
Francis P. Hogan
Francis P. Hogan, a partner at Ashford & Wriston, began practicing law in 1980 and joined the firm in 1981. He is admitted to practice before all of the courts of the State of Hawaii, the U.S. District Court for the District of Hawaii, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Frank opened the firm's Kailua-Kona office in 1988 and, although he returned to Honolulu in 1991, he continues to practice on the island of Hawaii, as well as on Oahu, Maui and Kauai. As a member of the firm's litigation section, Frank's practice includes quiet title , environmental, construction, condemnation, general commercial litigation, and representation of financial institutions. He has a broad range of trial and appellate experience in both state and federal courts, including:
- Representing landowners in several state and federal condemnation trials and appeals
- Successful challenge to a federal Air Installation Compatibility Use Zone (AICUZ) study used to blight development
- Representation of a landowner in a multi-million dollar environmental cost recovery case against a Canadian multi-national corporation
- Representation of a national medical society in federal antitrust litigation
- Representation of owners and architects in construction defects litigation
- Representation of a Japanese land developer in arbitration of a construction contract dispute
- Representation of landowners in quiet title litigation at trial and on appeal
- Representation of various Hawaii banks and credit unions in a variety of consumer, commercial and bankruptcy litigation in state and federal courts
Frank participated in the management of the firm as the chair of the firm's Litigation Area of Practice, and is secretary to the partnership.
Frank serves as an arbitrator in the State Court Annexed Arbitration Program. He is a member of the Natural Resources and the Intellectual Property & Technology sections of the Hawaii State Bar Association and has served as co-chair of the Association’s Long Range Planning Committee. He has served as a delegate to the Judicial Conference of the U.S. District Court, District of Hawaii. He also participated in the Hawaii State Judiciary’s 1991 Judicial Foresight Conference, and the 1993 Hawaii State Judicial Conference. He is also a member of the Litigation and Environmental Law sections of the American Bar Association.
Frank is designated as a LEED Accredited Professional by the United States Green Building Council. The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System is the nationally-accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of green buildings. As a LEED Accredited Professional, Frank is familiar with the LEED certification process and the contractual and risk issues involving green building development and leasing. "LEED Accredited Professional" and the related acronym, and the Legacy LEED AP logo are trademarks owned by the U.S. Green Building Council and are awarded to individuals under license by the Green Building Certification Institute.
- Eastern Savings Bank, FSB v. Esteban, 129 Hawai'i 154, 296 P.3d 1062 (Hawaii 2013)
- Eastern Savings Bank, FSB v. Kalua'u, 2012 WL 400582 (Hawaii App. 2012)
- Pavsek v. Sandvold, 127 Hawai'i 390 (Hawaii 2012)
- Hart v. Ticor Title Ins. Co., 2012 WL 255658 (Hawaii 2012)
- Hart v. Ticor Title Ins. Co., 257 P.3d 1224 (Hawaii App. 2011)
- Winged Foot Investments, Inc. v. Jones, 260 P.3d 1168, (Hawaii App. 2011)
- Winged Foot Investments, Inc. v. Lum, 2010 WL 3025177 (D. Haw. 2010)
- Winged Foot Investments, Inc. v. Lum, 2010 WL 3025170 (D. Haw. 2010)
- Castle Family LLC v. Kailuan Inc., 2010 Westlaw 3517963 (Hawaii 2010)
- Castle Family LLC v. Kailuan Inc., 123 Hawai'i 134, 230 P.3d 434 (Hawaii App. 2010)
- In re Metropolitan Mortg. & Securities, Co., Inc., 2010 WL 1416210 (Bank. 2010)
- Won v. England, 2010 WL 910623 (D. Hawaii 2010)
- Won v. England, 2009 WL 1664037 (D. Hawaii 2009)
- Hawai`i Ventures, LLC, v. Otaka, Inc., 116 Hawai`i 465 (Hawaii 2007)
- Morimoto v. Board of Land and Natural Resources, 107 Hawai`i 296 (Hawaii 2005)
- Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith, Inc. v. McClafferty, 287 F.Supp.2d 1244 (2003)
- Maui Land & Pineapple Co. v. Naiapaakai etc., 69 Haw. 565, 751 P.2d 1020 (1988)
- Hawaii Housing Authority v. Midkiff, 69 Haw. 247, 739 P.2d 248 (1987)
- U.S. v. 760.807 Acres of Land More or Less, , 731 F.2d 1443 (9th Cir. 1984)
Frank has served on the board of managers of the Nuuanu YMCA, and as chair (2001-2004) and vice-chair (1998-2015) . He has served as the branch representative for Nuuanu on the Board of Directors for the YMCA of Honolulu since 2002. He also served on the Board of Directors of the Kona Family YMCA from 1989 -1991. Frank is a member of the Association of Graduates of the U.S. Military Academy, the West Point Society of Hawai‘i and the Stanford Alumni Association.