Paul A. Tomar
Areas of Practice:
- Complex Property Division
- Interstate Custody
- J.D., University of Miami, 1973
- B.A., Lehigh University, 1970
Paul A. Tomar
Paul A. Tomar, partner at Ashford & Wriston and head of the firm's Family Law department, began practicing law in 1974 and joined the firm in 1999.
Mr. Tomar focuses his practice on contested divorce and custody proceedings. His career of 30 years in family law includes the following:
- More than 275 major divorce trials, including 70 custody trials
- Prevailing counsel in several appeals, including the landmark cases of Gussin v. Gussin, 73 Haw. 470, 836 P 2nd 484 (1992) and Epp v. Epp, 80 Haw. 79, 905 P 2nd 54 (1995)
Mr. Tomar is a member of the Hawaii State Bar Association and was chair of the HSBA Family Law Section in 2000. He is a member of the American Bar Association's Family Law and Litigation sections. He has served as a lecturer in family law for several years with the Kapiolani Community College Legal Assistant Program.
Mr. Tomar has authored numerous articles which have appeared in the Hawaii Institute for Continuing Legal Education and other continuing education journals. He is the coauthor of the Hawaii Divorce Manual, 5th edition, 1996. Mr. Tomar is a featured guest speaker at various workshops and seminars focusing on divorce and custody.
Mr. Tomar currently serves as the chairperson of the Advisory Committee to the Kapiolani Community College Legal Assistant Program.