Gary M. Slovin
Areas of Practice:
- University of Pennsylvania, LL.B., 1966
- Brown University, A.B., 1963
Gary M. Slovin
Gary M. Slovin joined the firm as counsel in August 2012. Prior to joining Ashford & Wriston, Mr. Slovin was a partner and former managing partner with one of Hawaii’s largest law firms. He is currently admitted to practice law in Hawaii and Pennsylvania.
Mr. Slovin concentrates his practice in the area of government affairs. His work includes representing clients before government agencies, negotiating agreements with regard to contested matters, and representing clients before the Hawaii State Legislature, the Honolulu City Council, and state and county agencies. Examples of his work include:
- Land Use Matters: Successfully coordinated development efforts for a large retail chain located on the islands of Oahu, Hawaii, Maui and Kauai; represented a developer in Hawaii in a contested case before the Honolulu Zoning Board of Appeals that resulted in a store being allowed to operate in the Bougainville Industrial district; represented a leeward side landowner in major litigation before the Hawaii State Commission on Water Resource Management regarding allocation of water that has historically flowed through the Waiahole Ditch System
- Lobbying: Has successfully represented numerous business interests before the Hawaii State Legislature. Examples include passage of a licensing statute for the Hawaii Dietetic Association, general excise tax reform on behalf of the Direct Sellers Association, a workplace exemption on behalf of Covanta Energy Corporation, an excise tax exemption on behalf of McDonald’s Corporation and franchise legislation on behalf of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers
- Governmental Relations: Established legislative, governmental and public relations strategy for the operators of the H-Power Facility, the waste-to-energy facility in Honolulu that disposes of nearly all of Oahu's solid waste and converts it to electrical energy
Professional Affiliations and Activities:
Mr. Slovin is a member of the Hawaii State Bar Association.
Mr. Slovin has served as Executive Director of the Hawaii State Ethics Commission and was Corporation Counsel for the City and County of Honolulu under former mayor Eileen Anderson. Mr. Slovin has also served as a member of the Honolulu Charter Commission.
Mr. Slovin has received numerous professional honors and recognitions including recognition as one of the “Best Lawyers in Hawaii” by Honolulu Magazine in the area of government relations. He has also been listed in Hawaii Super Lawyers and has been recognized by Chambers USA for his work in government relations and land use issues. Mr. Slovin has also received the Martindale-Hubbell AV rating. In 2011, Mr. Slovin was honored by the Hawaii State Bar Association with the Ki‘e Ki‘e award for his pro bono work.
Mr. Slovin has served on the board of directors of the Hawaii Theatre Center, as a member of the Mayor’s Budget Review Advisory Committee and as chair of the 2001 Aloha United Way campaign. He is presently a board member of the Friends of the Williams S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawaii. He also currently serves as a member of the Honolulu Zoo Society, as secretary of Helping Hands Hawai‘i, and as a director with the Hawaii Justice Foundation.