Michael W. Gibson, a partner at Ashford & Wriston, began practicing law in 1974 and joined the firm in 1976.
Mr. Gibson focuses his practice on land title and boundary disputes, administrative agency contested cases and Hawaiian rights claims. His experience includes:
- Representing The Estate of James Campbell in the contested case hearing before the State Water Commission concerning the Waiahole Ditch;
- Representing numerous landowners in quiet title litigation involving multi-million dollar parcels;
- Participation in proceedings to clarify the scope of native Hawaiian traditional and customary practices.
Mr. Gibson served as the President of the Hawai`i State Bar Association in 2002. He has served as director and as president of the Legal Aid Society of Hawai`i and Hawai`i Lawyers Care (a pro bono delivery program). He is a member of the West Hawai`i Bar Association. Mr. Gibson is a former director of the Hawai`i Bar Association and its Young Lawyers Section.
- In 1992, Mr. Gibson received the Outstanding Contribution to Delivery of Pro Bono Legal Services award.
- Best Lawyers in America; Real Estate Law 2007 to Present
- Honolulu Magazine, Best Lawyers in Hawaii 2005 to Present
- Hawaii Super Lawyers 2008, 2010, 2011
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated
- Hawaii Business Honors Top 25 Exec 2012
- Adair v. Hustace, 64 Haw. 314 (1982)
- Hamakua Sugar Co., Inc. v. Fiji Sugar Corp., Ltd., 778 F.Supp. 503 (D.Haw. 1991)
- In re Water Use Permit Applications, 94 Haw. 97 (2000)
- Kahalepauole v. Associates Four, 8 Haw.App. 7 (1990)
- Kahuku Agr. Co. (Hawaii), Inc. v. P.R. Cassiday, Inc., 68 Haw. 625 (1986)
- Kimura v. Kamalo, 106 Haw. 501 (2005)
- Maui Land & Pineapple Co. v. Naiapaakai Heirs of Makeelani, 69 Haw. 565 (1988)
- Richardson v. Lane, 6 Haw.App. 614 (1987)
- State v. Afaga, 56 Haw. 170 (1975)
- U.S. v. 729.773 Acres of Land, 531 F.Supp. 967 (D.Haw. 1982)
- Windward Partners v. Ariyoshi, 693 F.2d 928 (9th Cir. 1982)
- Wong v. Takeuchi, 83 Haw. 94 (1996)
Mr. Gibson serves as a director of the Straub Clinic and Hospital, and as a Trustee of the Parker Ranch Foundation Trust.
Gibson has been a director of the Hawaii Justice Foundation since 2005.
- J.D., University of California, Hastings College of Law, 1973
- B.B.A., University of Wisconsin, 1970
- Phi Eta Sigma