Michael R. Vieira, is a Partner with Ashford & Wriston. He was admitted to the Hawai`i Bar in 2004.
Mr. Vieira focuses his practice on commercial litigation, real property, general civil litigation, intellectual property, sustainable development, and financial institutions. Representative matters include:
- Represented international private investment firm in resort foreclosure.
- Represented Maryland-based bank in numerous foreclosure and post-foreclosure ejectment actions.
- Successfully defended various banks and credit unions against borrowers’ claims of predatory lending, truth in lending act violations and unfair and deceptive trade practices.
- Assisted various local and international investors in negotiation and due diligence for note purchase transactions related to commercial real estate and resort properties.
- Defended various title and escrow companies in litigation.
- Recovered nearly $50,000 on behalf of servicemember after his agent used a power of attorney to divert funds from servicemember’s savings account.
- Represented various commercial property owners in landlord-tenant disputes involving office space, retail and industrial properties.
- Defended Canada-based company manufacturing products in China in contract litigation.
- Exemplified and collected upon out of state judgments on behalf of various creditors.
- Defended landlord against tenant’s claims for defamation and loss of business.
- Represented various businesses in drafting website privacy policies and protecting intellectual property.
Mr. Vieira is a member of the American Bar and Hawai`i State Bar Associations.
Mr. Vieira served as a civilian attorney with the United States Navy Judge Advocate General Corps where he assisted servicemembers and military dependants with various legal issues including family law, estate planning and Servicemembers Civil Relief Act issues and was identified by the Navy as a subject matter expert on foreclosure and real property issues involving military.
Mr. Vieira served as law clerk to the Honorable Steven S. Alm, First Circuit Court, August 2004 – August 2005.
Mr. Vieira serves as an arbitrator in the State Court Annexed Arbitration Program. He has provided training to military groups on legal issues involving the military and government security clearance issues and participated in radio interviews regarding green building and sustainable development. He has served as a director of the Young Lawyers Division of the Hawaii State Bar Association, the University of Oregon Alumni Association, was a member of the American Heart Association’s Black Tie & Blue Jeans Planning Committee and is a member of the Hawaii Chapter of the United States Green Building Council.
Mr. Vieira is the first attorney in Hawaii who has been designated as a LEED Accredited Professional by the United States Green Building Council (according to the USGBC membership database).
The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System is the nationally-accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of green buildings. As a LEED Accredited Professional, Mr. Vieira is familiar with the LEED certification process and the contractual and risk issues involving green building development and leasing. With Mr. Vieira's accreditation, Ashford & Wriston clients may be able to earn one point toward LEED Certification for their projects, if a LEED AP is not otherwise on the project team. "LEED Accredited Professional" and the related acronym, and the Legacy LEED AP logo are trademarks owned by the U.S. Green Building Council and are awarded to individuals under license by the Green Building Certification Institute..
Recent Reported Cases:
- Grimaldi v. Pope Benedict XVI, et al., 2012 WL 5187850 (D. Haw. 2012)
- 143 Nenue Holdings, LLC v. Bonds, 123 Haw. 292, 231 P.3d 1009 (Haw. 2010)
- Winged Foot Investments, Inc. v. Lum, 2010 WL 3025177 (D. Haw. 2010)
- McKeague v. Matsuura, 2009 WL 89112 (D. Haw. 2009)
- State Farm Fire and Cas. Co. v. Jenkins, 2009 WL 529083 (D. Haw. 2009)
- JATSB, LLC v. Timeshare Beat, Inc., 2008 WL 4809484 (D. Haw. 2008)
- Allstate Ins. Co. v. Gadiel, 2008 WL 4830847 (D. Haw. 2008)
- J.D., magna cum laude, William S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawai‘i, 2004.
- University of Hawaii Law Review, 2003 - 2004
- Phi Delta Phi, University of Hawaii Chapter, 2003 – 2004
- B.S., University of Oregon